Tuesday, March 10, 2009

The Birth of a Blog...a Lil' Bit from The Other Guy...

Hmmm...

So this is what blogging feels like.

Kinda like a mass-email but way less intrusive
(guess I'll have to learn to deal though)-

Maybe I can mass-blast the link out often to offset the uneasy feeling of having my words fall like trees in an uninhabited forest.

As for the subject matter, and our shared common affliction, being crossbreeds of a rare joint fanaticism, it is true I do bare the same cross.

For me it all started simply with 2 Players:

Mike Bossy & Don Mattingly.



After seeing each of them play their respective sports, I was hooked. On the sports they played, the teams they played for, and they themselves, namely 2 Legendary Players.

For me it never felt like suffering with the Yankees. Even back in the Early 80's they were already steeped in tradition, mystique, and a notion that their franchise was historically the best.

The only tough part for me was not seeing Donnie Baseball in October as back injuries were starting to plague him, while rapidly shortening his career, and limiting his ability to perform at his normal highest of levels. There was some relief in 1995, albeit a "Wildcard Birth" (what the hell is that anyway I remember thinking), and a short 5 game losing series.

The series was a heartbreaker, a flash in the pan, an underwhelming underachievement, and the one that got away for the Soon-to-be Dynasty (ala the Isles of the real late 70's- or so I've been told). But the one bright spot, for me at least, was that Mattingly made it there, and not only that, he also turned back the clock and preformed at his youthful highest level. ('95 BA OBP SLG
.417 .440 .708 )

I know I know, 5 games is too small of sample size to be considered. Too minute to prove any accomplishment of “clutch”. Yet I bet we know at least one unspoken, unnamed, genetically alter specimen, that would give all 30 of his millions, and all 30 of his backpage headlines in the month of February- (yes I know there is only 28 days) to start this year’s Postseason with an ALDS such as that (hopefully while propelling him and the yanks to a sustained successful playoff run and their 27th world series ring).

Hey one can dream, as hope springs eternal.

As bittersweet as it will be for me to watch “A-Voided mentioning” celebrate his ring in pinstripes, it was also initially how it was for me in 1996 watching one of the most magical seasons I ever witness transpire with out Mattingly on Roster. I remember feeling all season long, as late as September (or whenever the playoff roster cut off is) that they should remove Andy Fox and unretire Donnie B. (seemed like a no-brainer, how couldn't "Clueless Joe" lobby for this). But as we all know what followed next forever outweighed my pain for my fallen hero.

I'll never forget where I was for all 4 of those magic moments ( 1996- taking a prolonged break from my work shift at the Albany Marriot watching in the storage room on a roll-away TV, 1998- (A slight upgrade in locale) on the Upper-Eastside of Manhattan at the "original" "Brother Jimmy’s" before it moved a block and lost some luster like the A. Boone's Blast forever did after the events of '04, 1999- After My first ever failed scalpin' endeavor at Yankee Stadium or anywhere for that matter (FYI- my current overall ticket record yanks or otherwise is roughly <~997-3> not too bad, and no joke) I retreated back to friendly confines of the "UES", and last but not least 2000- Finally got to celebrate one live, and a subway series to boot, I showed up at Shea, and didn’t leave until 2hrs after gametime as the celebration on the field (and off) raged on. I almost feel inclined to include my 2001 memories as they are equivalent to these 4, if not stronger in some cases, but often need to remind myself that we didn’t actually win that “still amazing in defeat” Series. I have a mental block actually admitting defeat in 2 series in my life, one is the one I just mentioned, and the other is the 2002 Islander-Mapleleafs 7 game series.

Oh those Islanders.....

Never until the recent birth of my daughter have I felt a love so instantly strong (and umm oh yeah my wife, that too) as the day I discovered the New York Islanders. They were currently heaped in the midst of their 3rd consecutive Stanley Cup Run (that’s 3rd of “4-in-a-Row" just incase any Ranger Fans reading this have forgot, amazing what one year- "1994" enables one to repress). That team lead by the "Boss", "Trotts", "Battling Billy", and the Captain, Potvin (Who actually incidentally "doesn’t suck"- quite the opposite- Google his numbers if you don’t believe me), they were/are the best team I have ever seen in any sport from top to bottom. I was instantly hooked and jumped on the "Islander Bandwagon" hook line and sinker (funny to type, must be a “typo” cause is there such a thing?). I had no idea of the lifelong litany of torture and follies that were to shortly follow, and to haunt me for my life as I currently know it.

Talk about false advertisement.

Brian referred to them as "his mistress" (a poor choice of words- I would think for the man married to my sister. I liken them and their “false advertisement early on” more to that scene from the "Shining" where that dullboy Jack sees the beautiful unclothe woman in the hotel room (and he rushes to her as I did the 1982 Islanders) only to find out when he looks in the mirror that she is this ghastly disfigured horrific evil old lady, as I saw through a mirror called the 90's and again now in flashes with the 2008 Islanders).

I remember crying in the living room of my grandmothers house as I watched (alone) as the "Drive for Five" came oh so close, but failed (I even remember Pat Lafontaine the "rookie" in that playoff run). And I've been quietly (or not so quietly) crying on the inside as this Seemingly never-ending quest continues. Some quick flashes of greatness to hold me over "now veteran" Lafontaine's 1987 goal during quadruple the game-7 Easter epic (I listened to that entire {expletive deleted} game on the {expletive deleted} radio, Ray Ferraro's Multiple Overtime Greatness in the '93 Playoffs, David Volek's Overtime Winning Goal in Game 7 to oust the mighty Defending Champ Lemieux/Jagr lead Pens also in 1993 (I was at the bottom of a 20man pile-up after that, funny how one can yearn 16yrs later to feel that again, sounds Weird and Disturbing I know), The 2002 mirage, and even the Dubie lead 2006 mini easter epic part deux , the run to close out an improbable playoff birth).

Still the Suffering continues, that coupled with what now seems like an equally long Yankee drought (8 years in “Yankee Years” feels like 80), is what leads me to my current plight today, or should I say our plight. An on-going plight for me, for also the man lucky enough to be my brother-in-law, and anyone one else that reads this and empathizes with us.

Brian and I typically have these long winded ranting Isles/Yanks conversations anyway, so why not put it in a blog as a memento to enjoy when we are celebrating our first ever con-current Isles/Yanks Championships. The Islanders will put all their eggs (and hopes) in one basket this draft day when they attempt to draft "JT" (no not the guy that brought "SexyBack) the guy thats gonna help lead the "IslesBack" to the top of the standings, the second round, and eventually the Cup (gotta believe in the John Taveres, the Youth Movement, The Lighthouse Project, and the Rebirth of a Dynasty). Also have to hold out hope that there isnt really A-Curse and that the Yanks will capture at least one Title (if not more) in the next 9yrs (gotta believe in the heart of the Captain- Derek Jeter, the ghosts relocating and bringing the mystique next door, and the ability to play & win again as a "team", instead of floundering as "overpaid individuals", someone please spark the spirit of '96).

One last thing, thank god my sister didn’t marry that other guy, the “masshole” with season tickets on yawky way, as well as in the blue seats at MSG. Hated his catch phrase- ("I drive wicked Far, in my Carr to see the Sawx and NYR Hawky"). You still owe me one for scaring that guy off, man how different this blog would be.

Remember you may have been her 2nd choice, but you'll always be my 1st choice in the world of Blog.

That’s all for now.......

"Isle Be Yanking You"

-Sal-

No comments:

Post a Comment